Thursday, August 20, 2009

Bad emitter?

Anyone ever have an emitter just go bad out of nowhere? I've had them bad out of the box before, but not a month after install.

Got a guy with a simple IR repeater in a pool room (pool meaning swimming pool, not pool table, not that it has any bearing on this in any way...) where the equipment is in the mechanical room. Everything works except the receiver. He can control it from the universal remote we installed. (LOL it's called the Dolphin... waterproof learning remote........) He can walk back and control everything standing in front of it and can control the DirecTV box perfectly from the other room. Emitter is still stuck on firmly, sounds like it's still in the right spot and wasn't moved, no wires are loose or disconnected from the connecting block. So I have to drive an hour to swap a friggin' IR emitter.

...and I've got $5 that says it's from SnapAV... :)

4 comments:

  1. So whats the scoop? Im in suspense :).

    Xantech<--These are the only emitters i have had 100% good luck with. I havent used anything but the blinky emitters in years. Saves lots of time troubleshooting.

    The only issues i have had with them are falling off or being cut by a custom rack face plate. I havent had to deal with that since i started putting the emitters inside everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I forgot... I think someone working in the room knocked it off and stuck it back on and it was just off enough to not work. It was blinking and partially working when I got there - I just moved it a bit and tested the heck out of it.

    Turned out to be a Xantech 283M anyway... I only use the blink emitters as well. Who cares if they blink? I can't believe guys think they look bad. Like there aren't any other lights on the front of the equipment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and then I reply under my wife's account. I'm such a NOOB

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had 2 emitters fail this week, Both were on Spacer switches and both failed about the same time. They were Xantech 282 emitters. But we also had a Xantech PA1235 amp and a DVD player die at the same time..Seems there were a few light bulbs out in the house as well and a garage door opener motor...the cause for all of this....Lightning storm went through the area, But why only the emitters on the Spacers?? and no other emitters on the crestron system?

    ReplyDelete