Saturday, October 17, 2009

Google is your..... friend?

A post at Lifehacker got me thinking. What would people see if they searched my screen name on Google?

Well I did it, and since I use the same screen name on every forum, you can see EVERYTHING I've ever posted. Not that it's rocket science, but this never occurred to me. So if a customer knows who I am on RC, they can also see anything I've put on Livestrong, Intuit, DirecTV, AVS, Personal Finance Forums, etc.

I don't post anything I wouldn't want anyone to see, but it kinda creeps me out that a customer could, without me knowing, see not only what I may have done that day, but also personal financial stuff I may have asked for advice about, whether I posted about a workout I may have skipped, or if I'm having trouble with my Quicken software. Nothing I wouldn't talk about in a general conversation, but to have someone able to see it without asking... I don't like it...

May be time for a screen name change at RC...

Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. About a year ago my boss sends me an email to install an MS Outlook plugin called XOBNI. It takes someones email address and gathers all the available information about them from the web and presents it to you.

    My boss says "i see that you posted wiring pics @facebook". I start seeing the facebook profile pics of people who email me from RC. Then i think "uh oh, i better be careful".

    That day i deleted all the pics from facebook and changed every account online to a single email address.

    Can you imagine what a client would think if they met 39CentStamp :)

    ReplyDelete